Presidential Transition Committee named to welcome new president
Georgia College Interim President Dr. Paul Jones has created a Presidential Transition Committee (PTC) to ensure a smooth and effective transition for Dr. Steve M. Dorman as the 11th president of Georgia College.
The committee is charged with developing a proposed transition plan with key activities to accomplish from September 2012 to March 2013 to support incoming president Dorman. This plan, which will be developed in coordination with both Jones and Dorman, is designed to build mutual trust with internal and external communities, and to ensure transparency and open communication throughout and beyond the transition process.
The committee has been asked to:
- Assist the university leadership in introducing Dorman and his wife, Janie, to the university, Milledgeville community, and state of Georgia;
- Survey faculty, staff and students about the strengths and weaknesses of Georgia College;
- Develop for Dorman’s approval a plan for the first 100 days of his presidency and make recommendations for activities for the president and his wife during the first six months;
- Plan and implement university activities surrounding the official installment of Dorman;
- Serve as a sounding board for Dorman on key initiatives and issues;
- Receive, coordinate and respond to the many questions, ideas and suggestions for Dorman that will arise during the next few months; and
- Develop processes for efficient coordination of input from and communication to the Georgia College community regarding the transition.
Dr. Mark Pelton, associate vice president for Extended University, will chair PTC, which includes the following faculty, staff, cabinet, student, alumni, community and foundation members:
Dr. Matthew Liao-Troth, Interim Provost & Vice President for Academic Affairs
Dr. Bruce Harshbarger, Vice President for Student Affairs & Dean of Students
Mr. Kyle Cullars, Interim Vice President for Administration and Operations
Ms. Amy Amason, Vice President for External Relations & University Advancement
Mrs. Monica Starley, Executive Assistant to the President
Mr. Marc Cardinalli, General Counsel
Dr. Sandy Gangstead, Dean of Health Sciences
Mr. Kyle Brogdon, Director of Publications and Marketing
Dr. Catherine Whelan, Presiding Officer of the University Senate
Mrs. Toi Franks, Chair of Staff Council
Mr. Cody Allen, President of the Student Government Association
Dr. Ken McGill, Chair of the Presidential Search Committee
Dr. Veronica Womack, Interim Director of Institutional Equity & Diversity
Ms. Jane Sowell, Executive Director, Milledgeville CVB
Mr. Bill Jones, City President of Magnolia State Bank in Milledgeville
Dr. Barbara Roquemore, Associate Professor, Educational Leadership
Dr. Paul Jones, Ex-Officio
The committee will receive assistance from Dr. Marlene Ross, a higher education consultant engaged in executive coaching, presidential evaluations, campus assessments and conference and program planning.
Ross recently retired from the American Council on Education (ACE) where she spent 17 years directing the ACE Fellows Program — the nation’s premier leadership development program that identifies and prepares leaders for senior positions in higher education administration.
The campus community is encouraged to participate in the transition process. A special email address has been established for the committee. Please send any questions or recommendations you might have to email@example.com about the transition. Messages sent to this address are seen only by the PTC chair and treated absolutely confidentially.
The campus community will receive email updates periodically, and PTC will establish a PTC web page soon to keep the campus updated on the transition process.
During early August, the campus community will be invited to participate in an online survey to help Dorman learn about the strengths and weaknesses of the university as well as the many opportunities available to the campus.