Mansion displays pre-Civil War bookcase
An 1834 bookcase that belonged to a former governor of Georgia has made its way home.
Standing nearly 8 feet high and 6 feet wide, the handcrafted, mahogany-stained, gothic piece was built in Milledgeville and belonged to Georgia Gov. (1831 to 1835) and U.S. Sen. Wilson Lumpkin.
The bookcase donated by a private collector in north Georgia is on display in the governor’s office inside the Old Governor’s Mansion and replaces the office’s 1847 secretary.
The bookcase was built in Milledgeville and formerly was housed in the Government House, predecessor to the Old Governor’s Mansion. The Government House stood on the corner of Clarke and Greene streets that is part of the mansion’s lot.
During his four years as head of the state, Lumpkin established a land lottery for white citizens to settle Cherokee land. The governor was instrumental in forcing the Cherokees from Georgia, one of the many sparks igniting the “Trail of Tears.”
Visit www.gcsu.edu/mansion or call 445-4545.