Honoring ‘outstanding’ staff members
Congratulations to this year’s outstanding staff members.
Georgia College’s Staff Council acknowledged the achievements of university staff members during its annual Staff Appreciation Day this month.
“The one thing this year’s winners have in common as it relates to their job performance is a strong commitment to Georgia College and the success of its various departments,” said Toi Franks, Staff Council chair and coordinator of Office Services in Information Technology. “Each winner contributes to the university in unique ways — from the cleanliness, beauty and friendliness around campus to sharing helpful information with fellow campus members. We’re proud of them and staff in general, who give back to the university every day.”
The council gave away $100 cash prizes to winners of its Staff Awards, which included a new award, the Newcomer Award.
The event also featured the Hemphill-Sallstrom Faculty-Staff Honors Award for the second year. Established by friends and colleagues to honor Dr. Ralph W. Hemphill and Dr. John E. Sallstrom, the award recognizes retired faculty and staff who have contributed outstanding service to Georgia College.
“It shows that hard work can really pay off,” said Joi Thomas, database manager in Advancement Services and winner of one of five Outstanding Service awards. “Georgia College staff members have a special type of drive that helps make our campus better.”
2013 Staff Excellence Award recipients:
- Bobcat Spirit: Darryl Richardson, transportation services coordinator, Parking and Transportation Services;
- Customer Service: Lisa Castillo, coordinator of office services, Public Services;
- Leadership: Artis Williamson, director, Continuing Education;
- Newcomer: Ryan Greene, manager, Parking and Transportation Services;
- Outstanding Service: Joi Thomas, database manager, Advancement Services
- Outstanding Service: Lori Strawder, assistant director of sustainability, Plant Operations;
- Outstanding Service: Greg Brown, director of operations, Auxiliary Services;
- Outstanding Service: Rebecca Miles, academic adviser, Center for Student Success;
- Outstanding Service: David Ladd, certification officer, College of Education
2013 Hemphill-Sallstrom Faculty-Staff Honors Award recipients:
- Staff recipient: Mary Jane Phillips, former director of counseling services at Georgia College; and
- Faculty recipient: Harriett Whipple, professor emerita of biology, who established 45-year-old science program Academic Outreach.